Do you remember “Gary Payton Wireless”?. The correct answer should be NO. I did a little Google research on “Gary Payton Wireless“, and this is all I came up with.
- It is briefly mentioned during this Sports Illustrated article from 2002.
- There was a store that opened in a mall the same day as an Osh Kosh b-Gosh in 2000
- A Young black actor, named Yonie, lists a Gary Payton Wireless commercial on his acting resume.
- GaryPaytonWireless.com is not a valid domain but it was used 2 times.
- GPwireless.com is a parked domain that tries to make a few doll hairs taking up space on the interweb.
That is all we know, and also we know everything he said about it during this interview on the Shane Coakley show, circa year 2000. I think we can all agree that, and this is not picking on the Glove, this was a failed business idea. I love how he says that he is going to sell “pagers, phones, computers, and we’re gonna do a lot of little stuff”.
If I was an NBA star I would stick to shoes like MJ, Kobe, and LeBron. I would buy Burger Kings like Magic. I would not try to rap, and I would not try to start a monster wireless technology company on a whim.
This video is classic. It shows GP at the height of his career. He OWNED Seattle. I think he just had one too many irons in the fire. There is also a nice surprise near the end of the vid.